Saturday 27 March 2021

Day 86: Time to expand horizons

 There are county teams I don’t know enough. I’m not afraid to admit it. I always start the season to invest more in those teams. There are many reasons, one of the biggest is geography. To watch teams such as Somerset, Glamorgan, Gloucestershire, Durham, and Northamptonshire take planning, effort and money to get to.

It shouldn’t be the case; I should plan better and give all the 18 counties equal time, and I mean that Hampshire!

As a Sussex fan for the best part of 30 years, there are obvious reasons why they jump to the top of the queue. Although being based in Nottinghamshire means that several trips to Trent Bridge every year is a must.

This year I want to be more of an advocate for the county game. It is the right time to do so; county cricket has never faced so many threats for its survival, and it would be shameful if the teams that provide England’s finest were to fall by the wayside.

To an extent, that is where I want you to help me; I want to know what it is about your county that makes them unique, what and who I should be looking out for? Who are the ones to watch? Who do you think will be walking away with the silverware by the end of the season?

If I was to some sort of YouTube channel or podcast, what kind of content would you like? I want to broaden the coverage of the domestic game in England and Wales, both women’s and men’s. I know some great people are doing fantastic work in this area.

I need to start broadening out from just writing. I want to do a bit of commentary, maybe see how that feels. Some would say I have a face for radio, and they are probably right. It is just whether I have anything interesting to say.

Most of all, I want to have a bit of fun, and it is something you enjoy it as well, all the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment