Thursday 11 March 2021

Day 70: Have laptop will travel

I have big plans for the coming cricket season. In the past, that would have been to take 20 wickets in the Mansfield and District League. I have no plans to stop playing, but my goals for this season are from the boundary edge. I know for sure that includes writing as much as I can. Those of you following this blog will know that I have been writing every day this year.

What are my plans once the first umpires of summer call play? I want to be coving as much domestic cricket as time will allow me around the day job. In particular, I will concentrate on women's cricket. I outlined a few reasons in this post https://bit.ly/3qBMdjl

I will outline the competitions that I aim to cover; if you have any other ideas of what I can do to bring the coverage they deserve, please let me know. We all need to make sure that the content of women's sport is the best it can be and that we get the message out that it worth investing time, effort and money into. That starts with us.

County T20 Cup

This starts while there are lockdown restrictions still in force. This will make it difficult to cover anything more than local, combined with Sunday games and my only option to get to games is public transport makes it more difficult.

I like the format of three games in a day, and the games are usually entertaining. If I can get to the ground, I will be there, offering updates on how unfolding events.

Rachael Heyhoe Flint Trophy

I enjoyed this competition last year. There is a real sense that the domestic game has taken an enormous step forward. The games were played at some exciting grounds, and I was lucky enough to be at Edgbaston and Trent Bridge to report on games last year.

I want to continue to support this competition. I will be pleased to see some of the southern sides in action, although the Midlands sides will remain a focus due to their location. Still, adventures further afield will be on the cards by the time the action kicks off.

Some outstanding players in the RHFT deserve to have their stories told. I have started to interview players and plan to arrange more over the coming months. Having these players and their coaches stories told is essential in giving new supporters a way to find out more about their new favourite players.

When the same sides turn to T20 action, I plan to be there as well.

ICC Women's T20 World Cup European Qualifier

This is probably the most exciting event on my radar. I'm not sure about logistics yet. How will I get there? Where will I stay? Would I be able to stay for the final? The summer holidays end the day of the final, and it is a long way from home.

What I will not exhaust is a way of getting there. We must support the associate nations; the game needs to grow beyond its traditional areas, and encouraging countries such as France, Germany, and Turkey is important. Just look how much fun it was to have Thailand at last years T20 World Cup.

Having a Scottish heritage that I am proud of doesn't go amiss, and spending some time in the country that my ancestors lived in is important to me.

The Hundred

Love or hate the concept; there is no getting away from the importance for women's cricket that the Hundred has to the women's game. It will be the official shop window for the game, even more so that England games in some respects.

With games set to be broadcast on free-to-air television, it will be the first time that a large audience will see women's domestic cricket.

It coincides with the start of the school holidays, and I will have time to devote to detailed competition coverage.

Men's domestic cricket

If there is time left after, I would like to cover some of the men's county competitions, such as the championship, T20 blast and 50 over competition. With Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire and Leicestershire on my doorstep, staying local isn't a problem. Having been a supporter of Sussex for nearly 30 years now, I have a vested interest in their games.

Looking for any opportunity

Besides writing, I'm not sure what I am capable of, I have helped record a baseball podcast in the past, and I'm not sure if I could do something similar. There are already others doing great stuff in that area, and would I be a voice too many?

I'm willing to give anything a go. Let's work together.

No comments:

Post a Comment