Monday 22 March 2021

Day 81: what could have been

 There is always a part of me that wonders what would have happened if I had taken playing cricket and hockey more seriously. I don't think I would have become a world-class allrounder taking wonder catches, but I don't see why I couldn't have been a decent club cricketer or at least better then the one I turned out to be.

I played cricket for the school team; it was an easy in. I was the only one in my school who lived and breathed cricket. It was at club cricket that I failed to make the breakthrough. I was probably at the wrong club for me. I don't think that was anyone's fault; I wasn't good enough to make the under 15s team. It never occurred to me that I would drift out of the game for around eight years, there were some nets at University, but I was never in danger of taking it as seriously as I should have.

It was in 2005 that I would finally start to play regular club cricket for Sherwood Colliery. They only club in the area I knew where they netted in winter, and that was my fate sealed.

I had forgotten how to bowl at that time. The ball came out of the hand all wrong, just looping up in the air or being dragged down short and wide. It took years and a change in grip to get things under control.

In that time, I had become the sort of player that made up the numbers, not reliable with the ball, not a great fielder, although the occasional reaction catch would stick. It was demoralising at times; one player even suggested I would never be a bowler. But I stick at it even as I approach 40.

I do enjoy it, even though the thought of packing it all in favour of watching more of the professional game appeals.

I have also reached the stage were I given the opportunity to play hockey is more appealing, but once you play cricket and the opportunity and the body allows, I think I would find the thought of not playing difficult. There is still a chance that Sussex will come calling, and I will be the next big thing. We can only dream, but that is the beauty of sport; anyone can be a hero for a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment