Tuesday 16 March 2021

Day 75: Wood would be in my starting line up

 

I only saw one ball of the T20 between India and England today. With the game scheduled for a time I was at work, it was inevitable, and there will be another T20 game comes along before too long.

 I saw Mark Wood bowl to KL Rahul; it beat the Indian opener all ends up, and Rahul was starting the long walk back without scoring.

 When a lot of attention is given to Jofra Archer, and rightly so in the fast bowling stakes, you can forget how good Wood is. The Durham fast bowler is one of those honest sorts of people and performers. He is a joker as well, riding around the outfield on an imaginary horse.

 It has been unfortunate for both Wood and England that he has been plagued with regular injuries. Wood was part of the side that won the 2019 World Cup, and if England could guarantee that Wood would stay injury-free, then there is no doubt that they would win everything in sight.

With the way England is resting and rotating players of late, it may be to Wood's advantage. He is a shoo-in for the white-ball formats, and one would wish he could string several Test matches more often.

 Wood is the most recent of a string of fantastic pace bowlers to have been nurtured by Durham, and England has been able to get the best out. Steve Harmison is the best of the lot, having helped England to the 2005 Ashes.

 I’m thinking of starting a cricket podcast. It would be good to broaden my horizons in a media world where the written word isn’t enough. I saw an advertisement for a commentator for one of the regional sides, which sounded something I would love to do. However, I don’t have the experience; how does one go about getting it?

 

A couple of wonderful women’s cricket podcasts/ vodcasts make me feel I would struggle to gain an audience that would do it justice. I want to do a general podcast of the domestic game in England for both the women’s and men’s game.

 

If this is something you like the sound of it, then let me know what you’d like to hear. I’m not afraid to mistakes in trying to get it right. It would be good to give it a go, I know it is out of my comfort zone, but I need to go there more often to see where it takes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment