Friday 1 January 2021

Setting targets - day one

 One recurring thought over the last couple of years is how do I improve as a cricket writer? It has been one that has eaten away at me. I know there are many areas I need to improve on. It is not a quick fix, and like everything you want to get good at takes time a practice.

Like the players I idolise, talent doesn’t come overnight, more often not there is a slump where nothing works, but those small moments things click it is amazing.

That is why I am going to write something cricket related. Hopefully, 2021 delivers plenty of cricket to write about, and a quick look at the schedules promises much. That is, of course, depending on the end of a global pandemic.

The goal is a simple one, write something cricket related every day. It might just be a couple of hundred words on a game I have observed or a new story.

I have never been someone who keeps a journal, but it will be interesting to see where things take me.

Anyone who has read anything I have written in the past or glanced at my Twitter account will know my focus is on women’s cricket. 2021 should be a great year for women’s cricket in England.

The Rachael Heyhoe Flint Trophy of 2020 was an interesting glimpse of professional domestic cricket growth in England. It was a fantastic show to say it was put together at such short notice. It has many things it can improve on, we shall save that for another day.


The release of fixtures for a women’s T20 county competition is an interesting addition to the calendar, especially when the thought of county cricket was an afterthought.

If there is something that I am intrigued to see is the ICC Women’s T20 World Cup Europe Qualifier in Scotland in August. It is the first time that France and Turkey will take part in the competition.

There is plenty of men’s cricket to talk about as well. England has another year packed with fixtures, trips to Sri Lanka and India are being prepared for. India is the main visitors in the summer before England make a trip to Pakistan in October.

On the face of its lots to see and talk about. We shall see as the last ten months haven’t gone exactly to plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment