Sunday 10 January 2021

Day ten: Double figures

 It would appear that by the time I wake-up in the morning, Australia should have secured victory against India in the third Test at Sydney. How comfortable it remains to be seen. Pujara could put in a block fest for the ages.

I didn't see much of yesterdays play—the dangers of time zones and weary eyes. So I won't pretend I saw most of it. Had injuries not hampered India then this clash may have been closer, but you can not take anything from Australia's bowling attack and having batsman find form at the right time. Australia is a difficult place to win, let alone under covid restrictions.

Selection Dilemmas

In the leadup to a series, speculation of who will start intensifies. That has been the case for England for a while now. The 2005 Ashes-winning team just about picked itself. Only Kevin Pietersen was unsure of his place at the start; not at the end.

There are places up for grabs all through the team, and you can virtually guarantee that the side that starts this week won't be the team that finishes the English summer. Some of that will be due to the need to rotate players. Then the players need to have some time out of the spotlight and the restrictions of bubbles.

Europen Cricket 

While it is not until the end of the summer, I am intrigued by the European teams trying to qualify for the next women's t20 World Cup. Scotland host and teams from Ireland, Turkey, Germany and France, will be there. I would love to be there, too early to plan just yet, but I think it is essential to promote these teams. I should try and get some interviews. If you have any preferences, please let me know.

Cricket Book Club

I'm looking forward to the Opening Up Cricket Book Club this Friday. The book that will be discussed is On Fire by Ben Stokes. It is something I have meant to read for a while. Now there is some distance between the book's events; it will be good to read with fresh eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment