Friday 29 January 2021

Day 29: Does anyone care? Actually yes

There are many things in the world that a lot of people get enjoyment. Some of these I would find uninteresting, embarrassing to do or plain don't like. That is perfectly fine. Everyone's tastes are individual, and I respect that.

If a friend has a hobby or job that I would find boring, I wouldn't tell them they are wasting their time or what they are doing is was worthless. If it is something they want to do, I would have no pleasure in belittling.

So it gets me to my point, why are people so quick to give me my opinion on just how boring cricket is. Not only that Why do people have a problem with women's sports. The most avid supporter of a men's team will disparage or downgrade the efforts of the women who wear the same badge as their heroes.

There was a particular case of this today. England Cricket's Twitter account tweeted about their women's team. With the build-up to their series with New Zealand, it was a reasonable assumption that England would do everything to promote their World Cup winners.

This sort of thing seems to have a strange reaction in some social media users. They just can not help but typing the 'don't care', or 'no one cares.'

It is, of course, a monumental waste of everyone's time. For a start, there are a lot of us who care. I have followed the fortunes of the women's game for many years. Not as keenly as others that is for sure, but I would consider myself to be invested.

I have travelled the length of England to watch county matches, spent late nights and early mornings on coaches hurtling towards interesting games with teams and players who I have grown fond of and want to perform well.

That isn't the actions of someone who doesn't care. I know I am not alone. The fact that the players have to put up with this is insulting. They have worked far harder than I to get to a position where cricket is a viable career option for them.

That we are at the stage of a professional game at the domestic level also points out that people care. If a professional game wasn't viable then fair enough, but there is.

If the next time you see a post about women's sport and feel your opinion of no one cares is the case, just think does anyone really care what you think? And jog on.

No comments:

Post a Comment