Thursday 1 April 2021

Day 91: April is here!

April is here. It means that there is only a week until the cricket season starts. To say I can’t wait is an understatement. I have my copy of Wisden and The Cricketers’ Who’s Who. I plan the games I would like to be at and the players I want to see in action. That, I guess, is still up in the air as we don’t know when we can be back.

I want to write about it, which means I have some serious research to do in anticipation of the first round of County Championship games next week. I want to get to know the players who I will be writing about. I want to know their stats when they scored their last century or took a load of wickets. Maybe find out what they average against each team and how that can encourage their side on to victory.

This all adds to a larger picture. If I can get that across in the space of 500 words, then all the better. It won’t be easy, but I will be working hard to write entertainingly. I have always had nagging doubts about whether I am good enough to write for many people.

I have always wondered how players can perform to large numbers of people, which seems more straightforward. I have played in front of tens of people and that is easy to focus out most of the time; you get lost in the moment, and I would imagine that in the middle, where 25,000 are all cheering, it is easier to focus out the individual calls.

If I take the approach of is this something to read? Then I can’t go too far wrong. If no one reads, that is okay, but it will make the road easier if they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment