Thursday 11 February 2021

Day 41: Grounds for memory

The was a book I owned when I was younger that had a cartoon on the cover of a man watching cricket on the television. The view through his window was of the game he was watching on the box.

Since I have been visiting Hove; I have been envious of those who live in the flats and house around the ground's perimeter. There are many reasons why it would be the perfect place to live. I have been a Sussex fan for the best part of 30 years. To be close to a venue that has always required some lengthy travel to reach would be heaven. Also, the short stroll to the seafront would help start the day right.

For me, the cricket grounds that mean the most to me are near a body of water, in Worcester's case sometimes under it.

Trent Bridge, Hove and Worcester are the grounds to which I speak. It might be a coincidence, but they have also played an important part in my passion for women's cricket. In the early days, I watched a side that was current World Cup champions slip under the radar of not just the casual supporter but most of the media. It was long before Twitter and Facebook and a different world to the county cricket I had been fed.

My following of the women's game came and went for years. But that was much to do with the everyday dramas of life.

I never appreciated just how much I cared for Sussex and women's cricket until it wasn't in easy reach. I think it is why I make the most of the moments I spend at these places. Trent Bridge has a rich history but is also far from done with creating new stories which will fill the history books of the future.

Worcester has a charm that is hard to manufacture; the views of the cathedral, where King John rests is one of the iconic sights. The first game that I watched with ECB accreditation sat alongside people whose words inspired and people I have the utmost respect for as I found myself out of my depths sat beside.

I hope that once the pandemic has finally subsided, there will be new memories at these fantastic grounds and that I will tell you all about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment