Monday 3 February 2014

A quick run round Lewes

Lewes is one of those places that I haven't taken the time to get to know really well. I used the library to help with uni work and I like to buy my friends different beers from the Harvey's brewery shop. Today was no different. Having arrived in Haywards Heath at half two I only had a couple of hours to go and map things out for future reference before it got dark and I could no longer take any photos.

When I go to any place I don't know so well it is always interesting to try and get lost and discover places you would never knew were there. This was no different today as I found Southover grange gardens. There place must look beautiful in the summer and it looked in fine shape today.

Made from the ruins of the priory of Saint Pancras the grange often had royal visitors such as the future George IV who rode his carrige up the near by Keere Street, a wonderful cobble street that is on a fairly steep incline, although there are many steeper in the county.

Carry on walking and you will pass the building in which Thomas Paine lived.Paine is a man who influenced the American Revolution with his writing and had a lot to say which would be an injustice to write about right now but I will get round to writing about him soon I am sure.

The places I didn't visit such as the priory, castle and Anne of Cleves house will have to wait for another day, that maybe this week but count on hearing about it from me soon. tomorrow I move onto Eastbourne and hopefully Rye.

No comments:

Post a Comment